Wednesday 20 February 2008

GP land forever

I'm back where I want to be. I've finished my last hospital job, and I'm now working part time at a practice, part time for a substance misuse service. No more nights. No more long weekend shifts. Today was my first full day of doing my own surgeries and visits, and I enjoyed it. There are still stresses, of course, and I still seem to be pretty busy with paperwork and learning and assessments. But I love the job really. I love working in a place where people feel comforted and listened to rather than scared and depersonalised. I love seeing people's homes, families, normal clothes and the progress of their lives. I love working in a place where all the staff make an effort to know your name and what you are like and you are treated as a person by your employers instead of some kind of slave shift drone. I love having a room and a doctor's bag and driving out on visits on a frosty bright day and organising my own time. My new trainer seems really encouraging and nice, and the drug/alcohol job is interesting and challenging. It's good to be back

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so happy thing are shiny for you right now. I pray you will everything God wants you to be in your new role and that it will be so fulfilling for you. I often wonder why people want to be GP's, especially when I see patients come in poorly and the GP isn't given the credit they deserve for trying to prevent the hospital admission. But hearing you speak about it tells me you want to treat the person, not merely the problem and I can definitely see the appeal of that - hospital "slaves" never ever seem to have the time or resources to properly achieve that whihc must be frustrating for people who came into the job to help peopel.
Oh, and you write so beautifully, D/W :) xx

Mad Medea said...

Well done honey.... I'm glad you've reached a point of feeling like you've "made it"! I'm very proud of you. xx

AdventuringJen said...

Yeah! Well done marvellous, lovely, brilliant you!
xxx

doctor/woman said...

Thanks guys for the prayers, support, encouragement and lovely comments!

Eve said...

Ah, well done! I'm glad for the changes in your life that are making it enjoyable again.

I also find it interesting that what we call substance abuse in the states is substance misuse in your part of the world.

Which only proves that Brits are so much more practical. Of *course* there are proper uses for these drugs! ;o)