Thursday 20 September 2007

What I hate most about being a grown-up

Forms. Admin. The general hassle and stress that can be generated by pieces of paper.

Grrrr. Have just spent most of the afternoon searching through bank statements, cheque book stubs and P60s to ensure I had all the right figures to fill out my tax return online. Turns out I was missing just one - my UTR, which is a reference number they give you when they ask you to do the tax return. In fact they didn't ask me to do one, but I wanted to for various reasons, including having 3 different employers during the last tax year, who paid and taxed me at different rates, and because I'd recieved some untaxed income from report fees etc. You would have thought the Inland Revenue would be happy to hear from honest people like me who self-refer. But no, very suspicious behaviour. "why do you want to fill in a tax return?" Perhaps they suspect what I suspect - that they owe me more than I owe them. Now it turns out I may not get the essential bit of information until after the deadline where you have to work everything out yourself. This would be very Bad News given my poor head for finance. And what my dad would say to me when I asked him to help me. I suspect he might feel that i had left things a little too late. But I maintain it's all Their Fault. These are the moments when I wish I was a kid again, and my financial calculations involved mostly wondering how long it would be before I could afford another Sylvanian family.

1 comment:

AdventuringJen said...

Much much empathy!
(I gave up on doing a tax return here...I know they owe me money but I wasn't sure it was worth the amount of time I'd spend on it...ick!) xxx