Tuesday 25 September 2007

Pale and Interesting

As someone born with naturally fair and easily burnt skin, I have always tried to be careful not to burn (except for a brief and foolish teenage flirtation with sunbathing). When my dad, who is originally from Ireland, and has the same skin type as me, was diagnosed with the most aggressive form of skin cancer (thankfully at an early stage), three and a half years ago, I became even more careful, and tried to stay out of the sun and protect myself properly.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend last week. Her father-in-law has recently been diagnosed with the same type of cancer, melanoma, but unfortunately his had already spread. Her mother in law told her to, "promise me you'll celebrate your fair skin, and give up on trying to have a tan." These words struck me, and made me think of the strange change in Western attitudes towards skin shade that happened some time during the last century. I have achieved a state of being comfortable in my own skin, at least the colour of it, in recent years, but I remember being bitterly humiliated as a teenager, when people would call me "milk-bottle legs".

According to Wikipedia, the trend for tanning in the 20th century was originally started by Coco Chanel in the South of France in the 1920s, when she accidentally tanned. Prior to this, having fair, pale skin was a sign of beauty and status, because it meant you were rich enough that you didn't have to do manual labour. After this, having a tan became a sign of beauty and status, because it meant you were rich enough to afford expensive holidays abroad. Interestingly, melanoma is the only cancer where rates are higher in social class I than social class V. In many cultures today, particularly in India, fair is still considered beautiful and skin lightening creams sell like fake tan does in England.

Anyway, I thought for the sake of my friend, and anyone else still struggling to come to terms with pale skin, I would create a small celebration of beautiful pale complexions. And these women are not just beautiful, they are interesting. They have something to say for themselves.

"I prefer a man who leaves and gives expensive jewels." Satine, Moulin Rouge














"Perhaps I didn't always love him as well as I do now. But in such cases as these, a good memory is unpardonable." Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice






"I will cleave to you Dunadan, and turn from the twilight. But there lies the land of my people and the long home of my kin." Arwen, Lord of the Rings






Don't tan! Wear sunscreen!

3 comments:

Mad Medea said...

I have a love/hate relationship with tanning - having the capacity to be quite Mediterranean in my colouring if I indulge. Having survived three days in the sun in Texas with temperatures of 35+ degrees and only got the faintest of tan lines.... I then went pink on my chest in New England..... doh!

P.S. I love your pale skin - celebrate it!

Amy said...

Yay for non-tanners! I had a brief flirtation with sunbeds a couple of years ago because in the sun I will always burn rather than gradually acquire a golden shade. However, the sunbeds completely messed up the skin on my face so now it's body lotion and sunscreen all the way for me! I loved the pics and quotes btw x

AdventuringJen said...

oooh, I thought I'd commented but clearly I didn't!
Husbink has got me entirely away from tanning these days - though I actually do tan pretty easily so even with the factor 30 and so on, I'm not in the pale and interesting category. But in NZ most people are pale and interesting cos the sun is so dangerous here. You should come here, you'd be very at home! ;)
xxx