Saturday 14 April 2007

Easter


Feel a bit short of ideas and inspiration at the moment so can't quite think what to write. Thought would jot down a few random thoughts that occurred to me over Easter. Easter can be a funny holiday sometimes because I feel it's the most important celebration in the Christian calendar, but sometimes it passes by and I hardly seem to notice it, especially if I'm working. Because our church doesn't own its own building and there are a lot of young people in the congregation who tend to go home for the Easter break, there are not normally any extra services at our church for Good Friday or anything. Due to much messing around of my rota at work by HR department, I was at some stages during the week supposed to be working on the Saturday, so we decided to go back to Liverpool (where both our parents live) for the Sunday and Monday, and stuck to the decision even when I wasn't working at the weekend any more.

...On Good Friday I watched a programme on BBC called "Who do you say I am?" which was a meditation and a telling of the Passion story based around works of modern art using the image of the cross by Christian and non-Christian artists. I thought it was a refreshingly good piece of religious programming - not so preachy that it was only watchable by Christians, not deliberately critical for the sake of having a new and controversial approach, but open and asking questions. I found parts of it very moving...

...Decided to go to the local Anglican church for the 2pm service on Good Friday as well with a friend who lives locally and it was refreshing to be in a different church tradition than my own for a while - more meditative and symbolic than what I'm used to perhaps. Not many people there really, but the vicar was very sweet and made a special effort to speak to us...

...Also enjoyed Easter Sunday morning at the church my parents-in-law attend - they had us all write down what Easter Sunday meant to us on little pieces of paper, and stick it to the wall at the front, after listening to a passage being read from Matthew 28:1-10 The thing that struck me most at the time was the phrase "Suddenly Jesus met them." Became newly aware that the Resurrection meant that not only could they meet Jesus again, but that anyone can meet Him, ever since then, if they want to. It is why I can still know Him today. I know this is pretty obvious, but it just reminded me in a new way, OK?...

...I fasted alcohol for Lent, because although I hardly ever drink more than 2 glasses of wine at a sitting, I feel I sometimes use it if I'm particularly stressed and wanting to let go of any worries from the day's events. I don't think that's very healthy. I can see why lots of doctors become alcoholics. So I think it was a success giving it up. At the beginning I thought I would be desperate to have some on Easter Sunday, but as it turns out, I wasn't all that fussed. My first glass of wine did turn my head quite dizzy though...

3 comments:

AdventuringJen said...

I too am unbloggy at the moment. So only have enough inspiration to leave a message of solidarity. :)
xxx

Mad Medea said...

I wish I'd seen that programme on Friday, but I was unconscious for most of it! The program that I really like last year was the Manchester passion which the BBC arranged - pop songs and live theatre through the streets of Manchester telling the story of the passion. Spine chilling moment when Jesus reappears after crucifixion at the top of a big tower singing "I am the resurrection and I am the light" from the Stone Roses song.

Didn't include "One of the three" by James though, very disappointed.

doctor/woman said...

Yes they showed a clip of that on the programme I watched - was the betrayal of Jesus in the garden and had Jesus and Judas circling each other singing "Blue Monday" by New Order. Also another spine chilling moment where the crowd joined in with the trial scene by shouting "Crucify!" as the word flashed up on a big screen. Had a power that sometimes historical re-enactments don't have due to all the sandals etc that distance us from the action.