Wednesday 10 August 2011

terrifying ignorance

I have been more or less glued to the BBC news website over the last 2 days, watching sections of our society break down with no semblance of law and order.  Normally I don't get very affected by the news, I tend to employ my doctor emotional detatchment skills (rightly or wrongly), but the riots have really upset me.  This is probably partly because I am pregnant again, and rather emotional all the time, but also it seems like the kind of thing that ought to be happening somewhere else, not in England, especially my home city of Liverpool.  It's also just so sad to see people terrified, people losing everything and people dying for no particular reason that I can fathom.  These things would almost seem more understandable if there was at least a reason, an actual protest about something that degenerates into violence is easier to understand than just sheer destruction and looting because people think they can get away with it.

The most terrifying thing about the whole situation for me has been listening to the one or two snatched interviews with "rioters" on the BBC website, found here and here.  The young people interviewed betray a shocking lack of any moral compass at all or even any logical train of thought.  Eg. "it's all about the govenment isn't it - the Conservatives whoever they are, it's all about showing the police we can do what we want."  Or the young men who claimed that young girls looting was wrong, if someone broke into their own house that would be wrong, but for them to be looting was ok - well not ok, but they were going to do it anyway, it was the government's fault because they couldn't stop them.  There was no real anger here, not even any clear idea of who they were rebelling against, no justification at all, but just a sense that if nobody would stop them, they would do whatever the hell they liked.  I found it chilling to listen and to think - has anyone ever even spent half an hour one on one with this child, teaching them about personal responsibility, or what society is, or any kind of empathy, or even how to think about something?  Or did they just decide not to listen?  I do believe that there is "a darkness in the heart of man", as Geoff blogged about here, and I do believe that those involved in the rioting should take the full consequences of their actions - any attempt to exonerate people because they come from a deprived background seems misguided, but listening to these kids made me wonder - how can so many people be growing up to think (or rather not think) like this?

9 comments:

Mad Medea said...

Really thoughtful post sweetheart. It has scared me, but not surprised me. I had just watched 'Kidulthood' a few days before the riots started having recorded it from C4, worth watching along with the American film 'Kids'. They both provide a window into how young people can reach maturity without coming to feel part of the society or community in which they live - everything is instrumental, visceral, immediate and short lived... there is no moral landscape in which to place their compass and it all ends up resembling Lord of the Flies.... scary indeed

Vicky M said...

I agree it was a horrible time and has left behind so many questions. I watched the news here in Ecuador and the senselessness of it shocked everyone. It seems impossible that these adults could get to their age without having any sense of right&wrong. The disturbing question we now face is-how did we let them become these irresponsible and selfish beings?

tim said...

people can be scary for sure- senseless chaos in a land of plenty...

Unknown said...



DLF Woodland Heights

Unknown said...

http://onlinejob-pk.blogspot.com/2012/01/earn-money-online-at-home-by-view-ads_23.html

Achima Abelard said...

My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

Prachi Gujral said...

Royal Green Realty invites new investors to experience the international market and accelerate its growth. Royal Green Realty COURTYARD 37D offers premium SCO (Shop-Cum-Office) plots, situated in the thriving Gurgaon Dwarka Expressway Road, Sector-37D, offering a gateway to unlimited possibilities. lets know more.



Royal Green Realty Sco Plots

Ananya Pathak said...

Very good post.

Everyone has their own opinion but certainly, such scenes are scary - senseless chaos in an abundant land disturbs everyone.


Orris Gateway Sco Plots

Louise said...

I agree with your thought it was a horrible time and has left behind so many questions. I heard from my friends in Ecuador and the senselessness of it shocked everyone.

Krisumi City Sector 36A Gurgaon