Wednesday 1 April 2009

negative voices

It all started this morning when a friend dropped by to lend me a baby door bouncer... My elderly next door neighbour said hello to her and her 1 year old daughter, and she mentioned that it was a lovely day for gardening. He then said pointedly to me, "Yes, did you hear that? it is a lovely day for gardening."

Now our next door neighbour is a retired man (normally really lovely), and obsessed with his garden. As far as I can tell, he spends most of every day out there, despite his fairly advanced lung disease, and it is always pristine and beautiful in every season. Our garden, on the other hand, is a little rough around the edges. It has a wild unmown section at the bottom, which is a deliberate choice to give bees etc some habitat, but I sense he's not too keen on that feature, since some weeds grow there. The beds mostly have easy care perrenials in, because that's all I had time for at the best of pre-baby times. And ok the lawns haven't been mown yet this year, and things have gone a bit "to seed" since the pelvic pain kicked in halfway through pregnancy. But in my opinion it looks presentable. Compared to two and a half years ago when we bought the house and the plot was half rubble, half bed full of weeds, it's practically an oasis.

What was really disturbing was what that simple jokey comment, (which I may have totally read too much into), did to the rest of my day. I was instantly torn between paranoia (oh no he thinks I'm a terrible neighbour and inadequate housewife, gallivanting off to baby groups all week without attending to my own back garden) and anger (doesn't he understand what it's like having a new baby to take care of and how difficult it is to even keep the house clean?). I became unable to focus on the conversation with my friend after she came into the house, even though she dismissed him as a cheeky old man, and then I began to feel bad that I was coming across as scatty and absent and not in control. We talked a little about it at the end, and she said to me as she left "You're doing a great job. Hear that." But sadly this was no use. The negative comment had sunk into my brain somehow and was blocking all positivity out.

By the time I set off for my breastfeeding support group, my brain was a storm of negative voices. I spent the pleasurable sunny walk across the park thinking about my choices as a mother, and spiralling down into self-doubt. I began thinking about what will happen when I go back to work. Currently I'm planning to complete my training working half time, and then get a permanent job with even less sessions than that, if possible. I started hearing the (mostly male) voices of my colleagues at my current practice, who already feel that a year of maternity leave is an extended holiday and that I won't remember anything when I get back. Soft option they were saying to me, don't you care about your career? don't you want your son to go to private school like our children? don't you want to be a partner? Then my paranoid version of my parents voices started, You need to give your time to your child, they grow up so fast... and Christians I have read books by if you have the means you should give up work, God intended mums to look after their children. I began to feel that I will be giving both baby blue and my work less than my best. Next I began to worry what mr me was feeling about me, and projected onto him the view that I spend all week having fun and coffee with my friends, while he slaves away at work. Then I started wondering what other mums think of me, and whether they see me as a failure because baby blue is still in disposables and still has to be cuddled to sleep for his daytime naps. Then my childless friends - do they think I've turned into an antisocial baby bore? Then my own judgements on me - I forgot to clean his tooth again this morning, maybe he'll grow up with tooth decay... I didn't realise he was hungry for half an hour of grumpiness, maybe he's not growing as well as he should be because I don't feed him enough.... You get the general idea.

Fortunately the thought bog was stopped when I got to baby cafe by an hour of chatting to fellow mums, venting my frustrations re the next door neighbour, and feeling a little more that everyone's in the same boat i.e. we're all doing our best. This evening has cheered me up even more, with some affirmation from mr me, and an 8pm decaf vanilla latte at Borders, accompanied by some Marie Claire reading while he kindly manned the baby monitor at home. However, just typing out these frustrations and insecurities and (mostly unfairly attributed) opinions of others has already put a bit of a weight back into my chest.

What really annoys me is that I am still this vulnerable and weak. I was chatting with some church friends last week and bitching about the fact that most church seminars and days for women seem to keep reinforcing the same point - that you are accepted and valued by God, you are His daughter, His princess, you don't have to worry what others think of you. I implied that I'd got that by now, I'd heard it enough times, couldn't they move on to something meatier? Not all women were seething masses of insecurity, I said. Well maybe they're not, but sadly, and mortifyingly, it seems that I still am. I still need this message to sink from my head to my heart. I know this needs more prayer. I know I also need practically to learn to let little comments bounce off me, especially as society seems to judge mums for every choice that they make. I'll never be able to do everything and please everybody. I need to learn to be happy and confident in our family choices and in doing my best. But how? Does anyone have any more tips on how to beat the guilt, insecurity and self doubt that being a mum seems to exponentially increase?

5 comments:

AdventuringJen said...

hello
I've got away and come back several times in the hopes of having enough brain to say something helpful. Sadly, that is not to be at this time! But I didn't want to go away again and perhaps end up failing to comment at all.
So, I'm sorry you are feeling like this. I hope you find ways to let comments bounce off you and always ways to increase your understanding of God's love. If I do gain a brain and some words of wisdom, I'll come back. :)
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Evening doc. I'm not a Mum, but I know how you feel. My first thought was 'Isn't it great to be human'. The day we stop feeling anything we'll be dead - or may as well be. Second thought was that Jesus the Rabbi - leves us with some amazingly honest expereinces of his own about exactly what's it like to be human. Have a read right through one his shorter biographies in one go, and look for the clues how he was feeling in various situations. Ask yourself what made him react the way he did. Totally phlegmatic stiff upper lip Brit he was not. Still isn't.
Third thought - don't underestimate the pressure people, especially Mum's, get put under to conform. The fact that investing in your kids is the most natural thing on earth to do, doesn't mean isn't any less valuable. Our society's strength or weakness depends on the strength of its families. Full time Mum - yes, and proud of it! Doing your bit for the foundation of UK society. Britain needs more women like you (!). Different mums, for different and entirely valid reasons choose different challenges when it comes to the work-life-parenting balance. Your embracing your admirably. Fourth thought - what can you do with your neighbour? Maybe he's got some tips on what you can do with your garden. Might have the odd cutting for you. But probably not best to ask him until you've got some friends round for a gardening party. And I bet you've got friends who don't have a garden and wouldn't mind a bit of time in yours. No answers Doc - just some thoughts. And there'll be a few words rembering you to the man upstairs.

Mad Medea said...

Just found this... I hope you're feeling better by now. Internal narratives and conversations can be the destroyer of much hard won self-confidence and belief. I don't think it's unique to being a mum - although a big new challenge like that is going to certainly upset your equilibrium. Hang in there sweetie - stick to what you value and everyone else can go hang.

Amy said...

I think Geoff said it better than I can but I too will hold you up to God in this. Just think - God loves you a trillion million squillion times more than you love baby blue! He knows what's coming for you in the future and understands what's happening right now. You enjoy your mat leave, sweetie, and praise God for your beautiful baby blue and affirming husband who lets you be you.

doctor/woman said...

Thanks everybody for your care, suggestions and comments (and the texts which arrived as well) You will be pleased to know that I am actually ok, and this was a bad day. But I know these thoughts come creeping back if I let them. I've been focussing on who God says I am, and also reminding myself that I don't have to live my life through other people's eyes. So I'm feeling a little more balanced now. Thank you lovely friends.